Human Rights and Immigration Lawyer Contact Me
DC is Holding A “Secure Your Own Community” Training This Weekend
DreamActivist D.C., in collaboration with the National Immigrant Youth Alliance is hosting “Secure Your Own Community” (SYOC) training in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area where participants will learn the basics of stopping deportations in their own communities. There is a lot of excitement about this training, with organizers coming from across the country, joining grassroots organizers in D.C. to hold this training by and for the community.
The training will be in Washington D.C. on Saturday, September 14 and Sunday, September 15, from 10 am until 6pm.
SYOC trainings are designed to:
- Provide background information and history of SYOC campaigns
- Inform participants on how to effectively apply pressure on legislative officials
- Train participants on the basics of organizing and mobilizing immigrant communities
- Teach how to use social media to build momentum around deportation cases
- Conduct an interactive session to give participants a chance to practice newly learned skill
The training is free for the community, through spots are limited so RSVP today. Please share this link with persons who may be interested in attending the training.
Thanks to the generosity of the AFL-CIO, we have been able to secure a great location for the event. However, we need at least $1000 to cover the cost of getting organizers to the training and providing attendees with sustenance to carry them through two days of trainings. The organizers have already raised $130 and a generous donor has agreed to match funds so they only need to raise $400 more, which you can do by contributing here.
Other Ways You Can Help
We know some people just can’t contribute funds, but they can help us by
- Getting out the word through social media
- Reaching out to the national affiliate The NIYA to organize these trainings in your own communities. Dulce Guerrero is a fantastic organizer, responsible for stopping hundreds of deportations in Georgia, and she leads these trainings.
I will be attending and I hope to see everyone who believes in securing our communities there.