Human Rights and Immigration Lawyer Contact Me
Since the holidays are around the corner, with Hanukkah starting this weekend and Christmas in two weeks, everyone is bustling around for gifts. The best gift is probably immigration reform and in the meantime, you can help get a drivers license for your undocumented friend in Washington State, New Mexico and Hawaii and fake identifications in most immigrant metro cities but if you are looking for material presents for a pro-migrant and even anti-immigrant advocates, here are some suggestions:
- “The Accidental American” by Rinku Sen illustrates the challenges and contradictions of U. S. immigration policy, and argues that, just as there is a free flow of capital in the world economy, there should be a free flow of labor.
- “Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them” by British economist and journalist, Phillipe Legraine. Given the recent xenophobic fervor in Britian led by Nick Griffin of the British National Party, this is a must-read book for anyone who questions the contributions of immigrants.
- “Underground Undergrads” – UCLA Labor Center. One of the first books published by a collective of undocumented students at University of California, Los Angeles, Underground Undergrads holds the stories of immigrant youth dreaming and aspiring to make change.
- “Illegal People: How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes People” by David Bacon.
- “The Latino Threat: Constructing Immigrants, Citizens, and the Nation” by Leo R Chavez
- “We Are Americans: Undocumented Students Pursuing The American Dream” by William Perez is another book focused on immigrant youth in the United States.
- Legalize LA – American Apparel
- Immigration Equality (LGBT Families for Immigration Reform) T-shirts.
- “I Support the Dream Act” (Black) – Latino Lingo
- “Support the Dream Act” (Red) – DreamACTivist
- Reform Immigration for America Zazzle Store
- Pro-immigration T-shirts at Radical Rags
DVDs and Movie Screenings
- Made In LA – Tells the incredible story of Latino immigrants working in a garment factor in Los Angeles.
- La Americana – A documentary of two countries, one continent.
- Don’t Stop Me Now – Educators for Fair Consideration – For screenings of 20 people plus get a complimentary copy, otherwise $50 donation — http://www.e4fc.org/documentaryfilm/orderacopy.html
- Host a screening for Papers the Movie
- Attend a screening of 9500 Liberty
Pro-migrant advocates are branching out into using mobile technology to further their cause so stay tuned for these upcoming items:
- Transborder Immigrant Tool – Geared towards the safety of migrants crossing the border into the United States, Dr. Ricardo Dominguez has made a mobile application that would make the journey much safer.
- Promigrant+ (Tentatively named) – Made by an immigrant youth in Florida, this app would bring the latest up to date information on the DREAM Act campaign, including events and Twitter activists, to an iPhone near you.
This selective list is far from exhaustive, so please add your favorite places to buy gifts for pro-migrant advocates in the comments section.
(Photo Credit: DreamActivist)